Signalling the official start of the snow mountain biking season the annual Queenstown Winter Festival kicks off on Friday June 21. Featuring all manner of mountain biking activities like, Bikes on Snow, and er, the birdman competition?, and um, the drag race?? Well OK there’s not that much mountain biking but there is a huge amount of other stuff going on from silly dress-up opportunities to watching locals fighting it out at the Thriller in the Chiller there is bound to be something for everyone.
Highlights this year include:
- Opening party on Friday June 21 – always worth it for the fireworks and live music!
- Bikes on Snow June 22nd. DH race held up on Coronet Peak ski field always a few spectacular crashes!
- Street parade June 22
- Day in the Bay and Birdman competition Sun June23 – there’s bound to be a few bikes jumped into the lake.
- NZ Comedy gala Mon June 24th and 25th.
- Comedy Theatre, Picasso at the Lapin Agile, a play by Steve Martin, June 26 to 29 performed at the Airport – Tickets only $20!
- Thriller in the Chiller at the Queenstown Events Centre June 29